Thursday, January 13, 2011

Belfast, Northern Ireland

My first destination was to visit my long friend, Becky Long at her home in Belfast, NI. In 2004, I participated in the Ulster Project, which brought her and 15 other 15 year olds from Belfast to Milwaukee for the month of July to live with American 15 year olds. The premise is to foster reconciliation between catholic and protestant young people in hopes of ameliorating the tension between the historically rival groups. Our project summer was 7 and a half years ago, and I finally fulfilled the invitation to reciprocate the exchange. Here is lovely Rebekah Long, poking the icy lake at Castle Wellan:


During the project, the leaders told us that much thought had gone into matching each Belfast teen with a Milwaukee team. I kind of scoffed at that, especially since my match shares the same name as me. "Really insightful," I thought, "Put the two Becs together and call it destiny." Mostly I looked forward to  the fun activities in the big group. But after spending time with Becky again (although short) and her family, I now believe the match could not have been better. Similarities in our lives, faith, family, area of study, aspirations, taste buds...were unbelievably frequent. Not to say we're identical or anything, but it was really fun to talk to and relate to an old friend. A kindred spirit, if you will. Further, in the same way returning to significant locations helps to mark growth, picking up an old friendship helped me to realize some ways I've (hopefully) grown. I felt like we were able to be genuinely interested in one another's lives, worries and triumphs whereas when I was 15 I cared far to much about myself to really invest in Becky. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain but felt really obviously different.

Here are some little photos with captions of some of the trip's highlights-

Castle Wellan Castle outside of Belfast. Becky drove us there and we took a we stroll around the lake. Today the castle is owned by missionaries and is used as a retreat center for NI churches! I guess it might possibly rival Cedar Campus.

The maze up the hill from Castle Wellan Castle. Seriously: who actually makes hedged mazes? Becky and I almost got lost forever in there, but eventually maneuvered  our way to the center;) Later, her friend, Clara, told us the secret to winning the maze, so give me a call if you find yourself stuck. Funny, my facebook status the day I left was Psalm 139 : You have hedged me in behind and before. (KJV)  Hedges everywhere!

A view of Belfast city centre from Victoria's Square Dome.  Same -day sighting of the British boy band sensation called jls.



An example of the religious/political murals which speckle the city commemorating both sides of the internal Northern Irish independence conflict. "To one person a hero, to his neighbor a terrorist," Trev, Becky's father explained. 


Trevor, Leslie and David (17) Long: the rest of Becky's family minus her older brother, Chris. These three hosted me for three nights after Becky went off to university in Scotland. Some would think that's awkward, but it was amazing. Les fed me with delicious homemade buns (ie:cookies) and treated me like her own. Trev provided impeccable tours of the city and its history ( in addition to his many other responsibilities). David drove me around and kept the situation light. Thanks, Longs:)


Next post: Dublin. Oh, and I arrived in Paris today!

No comments:

Post a Comment